Mommy Hacks: Acne Remedies From The Pantry

Waking up with an acne can sometimes ruin a clear, bright day. Don’t fret, it’s normal! As a mother of two, I’ve had my own share of hormonal problems post-pregnancy.  Honestly, when I was younger, I’ve never experienced an acne outbreak. So when it eventually happened after giving birth to my first child, imagine the surprise and frustration this first-time-mom in me had to go through.

Naturally, we bombard ourselves with expensive off-the-shelf skincare products. But, you can plausibly achieve the same results with products found in the pantry! Let me share with you 5 items you can conveniently use to treat acne while in the comforts of your own home:


Green Tea – I love drinking this after a meal, so it’s pretty much a staple in my pantry. I’ve never known that this is also used for the skin until recently. According to experts, it is the most effective in reducing oil secretions on the skin because of EGCG (Epigallocatechin Gallate). For those who do not know, EGCG slows down the development of acne. Just boil some green tea leaves for 3 minutes and let cool. Apply using cotton, or you can use a small spray bottle to spritz some on the face. Allow it to sit dry before rinsing with water. 

Aloe Vera – This succulent is known for a plethora of wonders. Because I’m always in the kitchen, I like using it to treat cuts, burns, and inflammation. Aloe vera is also known for its salicylic acid and sulfuric properties. These are used extensively for commercial skincare products. To use, just scrape out a spoonful of gel from the plant and apply directly to the skin. Leave it on overnight. Use this continuously to help lighten dark spots and boost collagen production.

Apple Cider Vinegar – I personally love this for a variety of reasons. I take a tablespoon of this at night. I also use it for my homemade barbecue sauce. Aside from its cooking wonders, apple cider vinegar is known for its anti-bacterial properties. Studies show that its acidic content can control and reduce spurs of acne on the skin. Simply mix 1 part ACV with 3 parts of water. Use it as a facial cleanser. Let it sit for a few seconds before washing off with water.

Unpasteurized Honey – Oh, I buy this more often than I buy sugar. I use for my kids’ homemade ice cream, lava cake, and other desserts. Who would have thought that this sweet, awesome goodness can also treat acne, psoriasis, and other skin conditions? Use it as a skin mask treatment, and leave on the face for 10 minutes before rinsing. Just a bit of a caveat though, you might have to do a patch test first before use just to be safe. Some people can develop allergic reactions from the topical use of this product.

Coconut Oil – When I was younger, my mom would have this as a staple in the kitchen. I pretty much developed the same practice while growing up. Sought for its anti-bacterial and moisturizing components, coconut oil can reduce skin redness and swelling. Just massage onto clean face in a circular motion. You may also take out a warm towel to be placed on your face for a few minutes before rinsing.


More often than not, we look for skincare products that are organic and natural. Who could blame you? It’s very important to take care of the skin. Organic products nowadays are becoming more prevalent, but for a price. I’d say this is the most organic you can get. Going natural not only saves you pennies. It can also save your skin. Nature is, and will always be the cleanest and purest form of remedy.


Comments

Popular Posts