What they do not tell you about breastfeeding


After 16 hours of labor, I was overjoyed to have finally held my little one. As part of my Birth Plan, I was very particular with the execution of "Unang Yakap" (literally translated as First Embrace) so we'd have the chance to let my child naturally find her way to my breasts for our first breastfeeding experience. Since we were both awake after delivery, my little Selina Barbara quickly obliged as her instincts kicked in. It was about 2AM when we finally found peace in the room with just my husband and my mom. I had my little one sleeping beside me rousing from time to time. At this point, babies sleep for long hours and needed to be awaken for nourishment and rehydration.

As a newbie in this field called motherhood, I had the impression that breastfeeding was simply about letting your child latch onto your breasts. Easy breezy, right? So I was determined to breastfeed exclusively until she self weans. Why is it even important? Well, aside from it being VERY COST EFFECTIVE, it reduces the incidence of SIDS, it is a natural contraceptive, it quickens post pregnancy weight loss, prevents obesity in children, and a lot more. To add, the WHO states that:
* Breastmilk gives infants ALL the nutrients they need for development
* It reduces risks of breast and ovarian cancer, type II diabetes and post partum depression
* Contributes to lifetime of good health to children, and
* Promotes better intelligence


Oh how I wish this came in with manuals! I had to learn the ropes on my own as days went by:

Breastfeeding 101: Your baby stimulates and dictates your milk supply. And, your first milk (colostrum) is not colored milky white, rather, it’s a translucent yellowish liquid. Anxious mothers like me expect to fill bottles with those milky white liquid gold. But lo and behold, your supply is just enough to fill a tummy size of a cherry (approx. ½ tsp). I initially stressed myself with not having enough milk. Fortunately, the lactation nurse regularly checked on us to ensure that I am able to feed her properly. Since baby regularly soiled and peed her nappies, I believed I was on the right track.

On latching: not all mother and child start off at the right foot errr boob (?). Little Selina and I struggled with this on our first three weeks together, to a point that I began fearing those toe-curling feeding sessions! Nipples were sore and cracked, emotional torture is up because I am not able to breastfeed properly, and read: POST PARTUM. Those sleepless nights, coupled with pain and anxiety won’t do you any good. In order to ease the pain and difficulty in breastfeeding, these are signs we were told to watch out for:

  • Baby takes in most part of the areola 
  • No smacking or clicking noises
  • Baby’s chin touches the breast
  • Baby is seen swallowing
  • Baby’s tongue cups the breast
  • Nipples are not flattened after feeding  


It is best to practice good latching. Otherwise, your breasts get sore, and your baby is not able to efficiently get off milk from you. Remember that they dictate your milk supply.

On pumping: As a working mom, it was inevitable that I’ll be pumping my way to my #exclusivebreastfeeding goals. As some breast pumps come for a price, it is essential that you carefully select the one that would last for a long time while conforming to your needs. I for example, needed something fast, handy, and efficient. I initially selected a heavy duty, hospital grade, double electric Spectra Dew 350 (courtesy of a very supportive sorority sister). It was efficient indeed, and quiet. However, it was bulky and it needed a power source, which meant that I can only pump in places where there is a power outlet. I brought it with me to the office everyday. Unfortunately, one rainy morning, I slipped on a pavement on my way to work because of the bulkiness of my bags (I had an umbrella, a hand bag, plus a breast pump bag which was bigger than my hand bag). So this stressed-out-breastfeeding-mom couldn’t help getting emotional as her beige slacks soaked in the puddle. A week after the incident, I bought a Medela Freestyle breast pump. Although it is a bit noisy, it is very small, and it can operate either through its rechargeable battery or through a power source. It also came with straps and clips to secure the bottles should you not be wearing a handsfree (pumping) bra. This way, I can pump at my work station, in the car, and even while driving! Perfect for mobile people like me.

Pumping at work
Building your milk stash: 3 weeks before I was scheduled to return to work, I started filling milk bags with 1.5 oz to 2 oz of milk in a span of an hour. It was very difficult to collect as my milk supply was still low. My little Selina Barbara was barely 2 months and my milk supply was not yet stable. It was very frustrating. Then an article online recommended pumping in lesser intervals in order to boost milk supply. By doing so, it signals the body that there is now a higher demand for milk. That, together with unlimited latching (sometimes in tandem while pumping), moringa capsules and lots of soup every meal, helped boost my milk supply. 

Milk Boosting supplements: Unlike other lucky breastfeeding mothers, I exerted so much effort in boosting my milk supply. I've tried moringa capsules, fenugreek, mother's milk tea and moringa tea concentrate. I also made my own lactation snacks. All I could think of was eating food that promotes lactation. All have worked well enough but what made it even better was the lactation massage. I contacted a lactation consultant who visited me at my home and gave me at least an hour of lactation massage plus pointers on breastfeeding. She removed all blocked ducts and milk began flowing smoothly afterwards. 

Loss of Calcium: Falling hair and weakened teeth. These started when my little one was going on her 5th month. I’ve been so caught up with boosting my milk supply that I completely disregarded the fact that breastfeeding and calcium loss go hand in hand. It is recommended that nursing mothers consume 1,000 mg of calcium a day. To date, I have cracked one of my molars, and I still have falling hair. LOL

Breastfeeding is entirely a different chapter altogether. Little Selina Barbara and I are currently going for our 7th month of exclusive breastfeeding. We had our own ups and downs, but going home to her after a day's work has been my own little haven ever since I returned to work. Husband has been very supportive as well. I’ve let go of the milk boosting supplements since we started introducing solids this month. I have developed a stable routine in pumping, and I am now prepping myself for another chapter: Teething and Eating Solids.

I say, good luck to us! 




Comments

Popular Posts