Our Water Birth Story


I have always been amazed by the capability of women to give birth. The beauty when nature takes its course is simply amazing and moving in ways no words could ever be enough to explain. So when I learned that I was on my way to motherhood, I was determined to embark on this journey at our own terms for memories to be treasured forever by our growing family. Knowing my tolerance for pain, I was determined to give birth au naturale in water as I heard about its advantages to both mother and child.

As first timers, husband and I were bound to face parenthood head on without knowing what to expect. For this, we needed to be creative and resourceful. Later on, I found out the two (2) possible facilities where waterbirth can be conducted: First was in Shiphrah Birthing Home in Rizal, and the second was in St. Luke's BGC in Taguig. Apparently, because this humble birthing home in Rizal had 100% success in birth rate, we learned that their midwives and doulas were already fully booked for water birth 5 months prior my EDD. This left us with our LAST and ONLY option, which was in St. Luke's Medical Center (SLMC) BGC. We have been advised to tour their OB facility in order to know the standard procedures and processes should the big day comes. As of current, they only have one (1) birthing suite with tub. However, they do have 1 back up room where an inflatable pool can be installed just in case there happens to be 2 water births at the same time.

Kwentong Kababihan in UP LB
Hubby and I equipped ourselves with information from friends, fellow preggy moms, and the internet. Thanks to a sorority sister, I've been lucky enough to be part of an online support group that conducted "Kwentong Kababaihan" (literally translated as Stories of Women) in UP Los Banos. Unexpectedly, the stories shared in the group were all home water births. It was like divine intervention! At the end of the day, it solidified our selection for water birth as our birthing method.

The succeeding months didn't come without challenge. Never have I thought that finding an OB for this would be so difficult! It took me three doctors before finally finding Dra. Menefrida Reyes of SLMC QC. She was very warm and accommodating. Our visit to her began as I was starting my last trimester, which she didn’t mind at all. We immediately informed her about my intent on waterbirth, which she fully supported. For further preparation, hubby and I also attended Lamaze classes under Chiqui Brosas where we were able to learn about what to expect before, during and after giving birth. Oh boy, it was definitely very helpful! Partners/Husbands are informed and made to understand what their pregnant partners/wives undergo emotionally, physiologically and psychologically in order for them to provide the proper care and support at this very delicate time. On top of that, nutrition, breathing techniques, birthing plans and post partum issues were also discussed in depth during this 3-weekend session. At the end of the workshop, you are given free mommy/baby goodies, and a manual, which you can review and bring with you in your mommy/baby bag.


Lamaze Classes with Chiqui Brosas
Class 255
Swaddling 101
Hubby and I upon admission
The big day

Come the big day, I was awakened by mild contractions at 4 am. I initially shrugged it off thinking that it might just be Braxton Hicks. However, when I started timing it, contraction intervals were already between 3 to 4 minutes. I tried to sleep it through, but it just wouldn’t let me. Knowing that I still have time, I tried walking around the house and did squats. Since our baby and mommy bags have been in the car for weeks, I was complacent that should this be the day, I’d just jump into the car without worry. For 3 hours, I’ve been going in and out of the bathroom to urinate until my mucus plug came out around 730 am. That was when I finally decided to send my first ever text message to my OB telling her that I’ve been up for hours and that there is already some bloody show. She then advised to have myself checked in the hospital for IE (Oh, I hated those!). So I woke up my husband from his last, long and sweet slumber (LOL) and told him that this might be the day. Calmly, we ate breakfast and took a bath before proceeding to the hospital. It was 930am when we arrived at the hospital. After being quickly admitted, the nurses checked my baby’s heartbeat, and attached me to a Cardiotocography (CTG). This is it! I never felt this scared and excited in my life.


By 11 am, we transferred to the birthing suite, and before lunch, my doctor arrived smiling and full of encouragement. By this time, I was only 4 cms dilated so she told me to walk around and do squats to accelerate progress. The room was very comfortable. We had a receiving area with a huge couch, pantry, my own bed space with a lazy boy, and a very large bathroom where the tub was waiting.






It was around 6pm when labor pains started increasing in intensity. I started concentrating on my breathing so as to divert my attention away from the pain. I was blessed to have my husband with me all the time holding my hand as I sought for comfort and support. By 8pm I could no longer engage in a conversation and was clawing through my husband's clothes at every peak of my contraction. The hours of labor was extremely tiring and my whole body was shaking. I’ve been in and out of the tub for a few times to soothe the pain, but this time around, nothing works anymore. By 930 I was 8 cms dilated, and was advised to wait in the tub for my baby’s descent. THIS IS IT!!!! It's the last stretch. I felt the urge to push! And after three loooooong and hard pushes, baby was out by 10:57PM. As part of my birth plan, we waited until the umbilical cord stopped pulsating before my hubby was asked to cut it. She was in my arms the entire time until I needed to give birth to my placenta. Once out, I asked it to be frozen as it was going to be picked up the next day by Ms. Chiqui for encapsulation . Then they washed me clean before walking to the bed for a few stitches, as I had a bit of a tear halfway through pushing (my baby came out a whopping 8 lbs. 12 oz.). Because baby and I were both conscious after the delivery, while being stitched, I started breastfeeding. It was about 2 am when the room was finally cleared and I was left peacefully with my small family.

 



Thanks to the doctors and nurses who were very attentive to my every need, the experience is indeed one for the books. I was lucky enough to have a supportive husband who walked with me on my every step in this journey. My health care provider, Dra. Menefrida was likewise heaven sent. And though it was far from being a walk in a park, I'd do it again for my little Selina Barbara. Our little ones are undoubtedly worth every contraction, and every pain. Next goal: Exclusive breastfeeding.

Comments

Popular Posts