How Parenthood Changed Our Lives

Every milestone is different. There are certain joys distinct from the others. The joys of getting engaged is different from the joys of getting married. Similarly, pregnancy is different from actually meeting your little one for the first time. 
Our little Selina Barbara <3 td="">
From the proposal to having a baby!

Our first family photo
Each pregnancy and delivery is different from the other. While some undergo a quick and painless delivery, I on the other hand, endured labor pains for 16 hours, had chills, and did an Emily Rose, before eventually calming down to a gentle mother. I still remember my doctor’s facial expression when I was finally crowning. Oh, the excitement! Her game face was on and I was pumped up with adrenalin. Although I had a difficult time pushing her out because of her size, she was worth every push. And upon catching the baby, I knew in my heart that holding her was the first thing I wanted to do. She cried just enough to let us know that she was okay. She remained awake but she was very calm. I was thankful for giving birth naturally, because despite the exhaustion, I am able to remember everything clearly. Husband and I still talk fondly of the experience from time to time. Oh the bloopers were one for the books! Straight from the water, she was a bit slippery so I held on tightly. I have not seen her face, but I quickly mastered her scent. It was addicting. I closed my eyes and didn’t want to let go. While we were waiting for her umbilical cord to stop pulsating before my husband was asked to cut it, the surge of overwhelming emotions was inexplicable. I was relieved that it was over. No more waiting, no more pain. Just pure love.

Days and weeks passed and this journey to motherhood quickly changed everything: sleeping habits, eating habits, routine, priorities, lifestyle –EVERYTHING. I slept less, but ate more. And just when I thought that I was already eating healthy, I realized that I could still do better.

I also mastered taking a bath in 2 minutes, and sleeping without moving every night. Smoking, zero. Drinking, zero (well, except for the glass of red wine I had during my birthday). Partying, zero. I bid my temporary goodbye to round necks, and said hello to low neckline, off-shoulders and button down apparels. It was different but it felt good. In fact, science says that motherhood triggers more brain activity. Days or weeks after delivery, there is growth in brain regions such as the amygdala, which is responsible for our emotional reactions and maternal behavior. This makes us extra sensitive to our child’s needs. At the same time, there is an increase in oxytocin or what is more commonly known as the love hormone, while we lull our little ones to sleep, nourish them, hear them coo, feel their warmth and smell their breath. 

Now that we've just crossed our 7th month milestone, we remain stronger than ever as we discover more about each other. My patience both to her and my husband has stretched miles from before, and my motivation to do better involve the future of this little creature. Happiness nowadays became simpler as we cherish more quality time together on dinner tables laughing at poop-stained clothes, smelly farts and dirty nappies. And, despite a now-cluttered home, we take pleasure in letting her explore everything and anything. Conclusively, amidst the accolades, certifications, and the pursuit for a post-graduate degree, we realized that there is so much more that we still DO NOT know. Parenthood takes us to a higher plane. It opens our hearts and minds to a broader spectrum of understanding and love. You begin to realize that you've never really loved someone until the arrival of your little one. 

First Father-Daughter Bonding

Comments

Popular Posts