Project #Bombshellmomma

Just like any other mommas, I've been aspiring to get back to my pre-pregnancy figure for quite a while now. Thanks to extended breastfeeding, despite eating like a horse, I've managed to continuously shed weight albeit slowly (better than gaining right?). 2 weeks before Christmas while having lunch, one of the bosses in my office introduced me to the latest trending diet everybody has been talking about-- yes, KETO. She was ordering her weekly food online. Honestly, it looked so delish that it didn't seem like she was in a diet AT ALL. While we were chatting about it, she suggested that since my lunch normally consists of whole food, I could easily whip up keto compliant dishes and she'd order from me, too! It didn't take a lot of convincing as my curiosity got the best out of me as well (#kumikitangpangkabuhayan LOL). So, although the holidays was just a few winks away, I started reading up on it so I could join the bandwagon.  

So what exactly is Keto? I'm no nutritionist, nor an expert on health and fitness, but from what I understand, this is basically a low carb high fat diet. The absence of carbs, or the lack of it, converts your body into a fat burning machine through the state of ketosis. Since carbs make up significantly a huge part of our diet, we produce glucose, which is primarily the first one used up as energy; fats then are stored. Since the diet encourages low carb intake, the body can quickly convert carbs into energy and induce the body into the state of ketosis—this is normally initiated when food intake is low. However, instead of starving through food quantity, the diet is “starved” with carbs. 

At 1 year 10 months, little Selina and I still breastfeed on demand. Since I work full time, the time I spent at home is preciously spent breastfeeding. Inasmuch as I would like to hit the gym, I always end up curling up with my little one. So for the meantime, let’s see what this craze is all about. Join me in my journey to Project #Bombshellmomma. 

January 2018:
I am currently at 140 lbs. So far, I get keto recipe ideas from the net then tweak it depending on my preference and/or the availability of ingredients. Sharing with you my keto friendly recipes:

*disclaimer: I'm not a chef, but just another homemaker who regularly prepares food for the family. I'm a fan of healthy eating so I prefer (or at least I try) to serve whole food most of the time. The recipes I am about to share are recipes from home, with some inspired from what I read on the internet. Measurements are approximate as I'm not really the type who goes for exactness, not unless I'm baking. 
Oh, and while some may abstain from including carrots in their keto diet, I sometimes include a few carrot sticks for the day then compensate for a lesser net carb meal for my PM snack and dinner.

Garlic butter wings with marinara sauce


For wings:

1 kilo chicken wings

2 tbsp garlic powder

Salt and pepper

1 tbsp smoked paprika

½ clove garlic

½ stick butter

3 tbsp garlic powder

salt and pepper to taste

Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika on wings. Rest for 30 minutes and fry until golden brown. Set aside. Melt butter on a separate pan (you may also add some drippings from the fried wings for more flavor). Saute garlic until light brown. Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Put back the wings and mix until fully coated. Remove and serve with marinara sauce (see below recipe for marinara sauce).


Marinara Sauce (fresh tomatoes)


1 dozen large tomatoes

1 ½ tbsp dried basil

1 tbsp dried oregano

1 tbsp dried parsley

1 tbsp smoked paprika

1 tbsp dried thyme

1 tbsp dried rosemary

1 whole onion

½ clove garlic

Salt and pepper to taste

4 pcs. dried basil leaves

Tomato sauce (small) or 2 tbsp tomato paste


Boil fresh tomatoes, remove skin and seeds then mash. On a separate pan, saute garlic, onion and herbs including bay leaves. Add mashed tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce/paste and simmer in low heat for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves before serving.



Egg Cups with tuna salad


4 egg yolks

½ cup evaporated milk

1 stevia (optional)


Separate yolks from whites. Add evaporated milk and stevia (optional) and whisk. Pour in container (I use muffin cups buttered on all sides) and steam for about 10 minutes.


            For tuna salad:

            1 canned tuna

            2 tbsp mayonnaise

            1 tbsp sour cream

            Salt and pepper to taste

            Lettuce leaves


Combine all ingredients except for lettuce leaves. Place egg cup on top of lettuce bed. Scoop tuna and place on top of egg cup. Serve.


Seared fish with lemon and ranch sauce


3 pcs. fish fillet

Salt and pepper

Paprika

Butter


Season fish fillet with salt, pepper and paprika. Sear fish on butter (about 3 to 5 minutes per side depending on thickness of meat). Remove from pan and serve with ranch sauce

           

Ranch sauce:

1 cup mayonnaise

½ sour cream

Milk (depending on desired consistency)
1 clove garlic (finely chopped then mashed) or 1 tbsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley (chopped)
1 tsp Lemon juice (optional)

Combine mayonnaise, sour cream and milk. Put in garlic/garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon if desired (to create a tangy taste). Add chopped parsley.


Flourless keto bread (courtesy of the internet tweaked a bit to fit my preference)



6 Egg whites

6 Egg yolk

1 cup Protein powder (optional)

Separate egg whites from the yolk. Whisk in high speed until stiff. Add protein powder (optional). Fold in the egg yolks carefully so that the peaks won’t fall. Bake for 45 minutes under 320F. Wait for the bread to cool entirely before slicing, otherwise it might break.  




Keto pancakes (courtesy of the internet tweaked a bit to fit my preference) 

 6 eggs

220 grams (entire pack) of cream cheese

2 tsp stevia

Butter


Put everything in a blender. Blend until smooth. Grease pan with butter. Cook as how you would your ordinary pancake. This one is particularly more liquid than the usual batter so pancakes end up thinner, but much more creamy, it melts in your mouth! You may serve with syrup, though I’m perfectly fine with eating it as is. My husband loves this too!


Keto Crepe

Chocolate mousse:

·         Heavy cream

·         Coco powder

·         Stevia


Whip all ingredients together and cool in fridge for a few minutes to form. Cook Crepe (see below).


Batter:

·         5 eggs

·         4 oz cream cheese

·         2 tsp stevia

·         Butter


Blend eggs and cream cheese until smooth. Grease pan with butter. Spread batter thinly onto pan until bubbly. Flip over for a few minutes. Cool. Fill crepe with chocolate mousse and serve.


Buttered Gindara Fillet with Marinara Sauce

500 g gindara fillet

5 tomatoes, minced

1 small tomato sauce

1 onion, minced

Half clove garlic, minced

Bay leaves (2 to 3 pcs)

Dried herbs

Butter


Grease pan with butter. Sear ginadara fillet until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.

On the same pan, saute onion, garlic and tomatoes. Add bay leaves and tomato sauce. Add half a cup of water. Simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top gindara fillet with marinara sauce. Serve.


Creamy Seafood in White Parmesan Sauce



500 g mixed seafood

½ clove garlic, minced

1 onion, minced

¼ c milk

¼ parmesan cheese

A handful of fresh basil


Saute garlic and onion until translucent. Add basil leaves and saute for a few more minutes. Pour milk and parmesan cheese. Add seafood. Simmer until sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Chicken Cordon Bleu with Cheese Sauce

Cheddar cheese cut intro strips

Breast fillet
Toothpick to secure cheese inside the chicken

Chicken rub: Smoked paprika, salt and pepper, dried herbs, garlic powder

Cheese sauce: Butter, 1 pack heavy cream, 2 cups cheese, salt and pepper, milk



Rub chicken with dry rub above. Roll cheese strip inside chicken breasts. Secure with toothpick as deemed necessary. Fry chicken until cooked through and through. Top with cheese sauce.

Cheese sauce:

Grease pan with butter. Pour heavy cream and simmer. Add cheese and mix using egg whisk until smooth. You may add milk to achieve desire consistency (if too thick for you). Add salt and pepper to taste.




Hopefully, I can keep this up in the months to come. Good luck to me!  



Comments

Popular Posts